Importing CSV files
To import contacts to Gmail:
- Create a custom CSV file, or export the address book from your other webmail provider or email client as a CSV file.
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Gmail at the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts.
- From the More actions dropdown menu, select Import....
- Click the Choose File button.
- Select the file you'd like to upload and click the Import button.
When it's done, Gmail will display the number of contacts imported.
If you receive any error messages during the import, you might need to edit your CSV file.
Note: These CSV files work with Outlook, Outlook Express, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Eudora, and some other email providers. But the CSV files that these applications produce might not contain all of the supported contact fields. For example, when Outlook exports to a CSV file, it omits data including attachments, distribution lists, contact pictures, the "file as" field, the "nickname" field, and text formatting in the "notes" field. Google Contacts doesn’t have a way to know what was omitted, so we suggest that you manually copy over any important information in these fields after you import your contacts.
About the notes field:
- Google Contacts doesn't support rich text formatting, or unlimited length in the “notes” field. When we're unable to import a certain field from the CSV, we do our best to let you know so that you can fix it manually.
- The maximum size for a contact is 128 KB. If a contact exceeds this size, the "notes" field might be truncated.