How to fix a conflicting account
If you have created a personal Google Account with the same email address as your glic.com address, your Google Account is a conflicting account. Conflicting accounts most commonly occur if you were logging into Google Calendar, Google Groups, YouTube, or any other Google Applications before Guardian decided to go Google.
Now that Guardian is going Google, you will need to associate your personal Google Account with a different email address. You have two options:
- Create a *NEW* personal GMAIL address and associate your conflicting account with this NEW Gmail address.
- Use a different Email address that you already use (not glic.com and not an existing gmail.com address, because these addresses will result in additional complications)
Steps to Resolution
To resolve your conflicting account, follow these steps:
- Browse to the Google service that causes the conflict (e.g. http://YouTube.com).
- Log in with your glic.com email address and the password you've been using to log into this service.
- If you have a conflicting account, you will see the screenshot below.
- Click the “Get Started” button at the bottom of the page.
- On the next screen, select Option 2 to “Select a different address for your personal Google Account”.
- Next, select either to create a new Gmail.com address OR to use a different non-Gmail email address.
- If you choose to create a new Gmail.com address, select “An account with Gmail and a new Gmail.com address” and follow the steps to create a new address, resolving the conflict. Use this new Gmail.com address with your existing password in order to access your Google Account.
- If you choose to use an existing non-Gmail email address you already own, select “An account that uses a non-Google email address you already own”.
- On the next screen you will need to enter your existing address and the password that you have been using to access your conflicting account.
This will cause an email to be sent to that address. The email contains a link which you will need to click in order to verify that you own that address. Click this link.Once you’ve clicked on the link, the conflict will be resolved. Use this existing email address with your existing password in order to access your Google Account.
- NOTE: It is very important you do NOT use an existing Gmail or another glic.com email address in this option.
If you have data which is “trapped” go to http://www.dataliberation.org/ This page details processes and provides tools to repatriate data out of all the Google applications, tools and widgets.
If this process does not resolve your specific issue please open a ticket through your local helpdesk.