There are many reasons you might want to create and share calendars. For example, you might want to create:
- team calendars to keep track of meetings, trainings, birthdays, vacations, and more
- calendars for your manager's personal events (such as season tickets or fitness classes), which you can overlay with your manager’s work calendar to make scheduling early/late meetings or business trips easier
- calendars for rooms or resources that YOU control
Create a new calendar
- Click the the small down arrow next to My calendars and select Create new calendar.
- Enter a name for your calendar in the Calendar Name field.
- If desired, enter the description, location, and time zone in the appropriate fields.
- If you want to share your new calendar with the public or with everyone within your organization, click the Share this calendar with others box, and then click either the public or organization box.
- If you want to share the calendar with a specific person, enter his or her email address in the Person field and select the appropriate permission from the Permission Settings drop-down. Repeat for each additional person you want to add.
- Click Create Calendar.
Create a calendar for a room or resource that you control If you manage the schedule of any private rooms or resources that aren’t available through the Where section of your Google calendar, you can create a resource calendar.
To create a resource calendar, follow the instructions above for creating any new calendar. Once you’ve created the calendar, you’ll need to adjust the settings. Here’s how:
- Click the small down arrow next to your new resource calendar, and select Calendar settings.
- In the Auto-accept invitations section, click the radio button next to the option that’s right for your calendar.
Here’s an explanation of the two applicable options:
- Auto-accept invitations that do not conflict: New events are declined if an event is already scheduled at the same time.
- Automatically add all invitations to this calendar: All events appear, regardless of conflicts.
There are two options for other people to schedule events on the resource calendar that you control:Option 1. Allow other people to edit all eventsIf you want other people to be able to make changes directly to the resource calendar, you can share the calendar with them in the same way your manager shared his or her calendar with you. Note: From the Permission Settings drop-down, you’ll need to select either Make changes to events or Make changes AND manage sharing.Option 2. Allow other people to only edit their own eventsHowever, if you want people to only be able to edit their own events and not those created by others, then there’s a different way for them to schedule events.
- Click Save.
- For this method, you’ll need to make sure that you’ve selected the Share this calendar with others box under the Share this Calendar tab for your resource calendar.
- Send the calendar’s email address to people who can schedule on the resource calendar. The calendar’s email address is found in Calendar settings > Calendar Details in the Calendar Address section.
- When other people want to schedule the resource that you manage, they can add the calendar’s email address in the Guests field of their event.